|“||bird watching 🕊||„|
|~ Trevor Henderson|
The Dove is a mysterious creature drawn by artist Trevor Henderson. It's spider-like appearance and disturbing limbs makes it one of the eerier creatures in Trevor's long list. Despite this, it is only a small-scale threat that can be easily avoided.
The Dove, at first glance depicts what appears to be an ordinary pigeon with scruffy feather, flying up and down. In actuality, the creature is a massive, spider-like entity with a bird-like pattern on it’s face, with a completely jet-black body to hide in the darkness. The eyes of the creature are have a glowing red outline and small pinprick pupils.
It also has innumerable black "legs" of varying sizes. These "legs" comprise most of the creature's mass, with the central "body" being a small lump of flesh. They appear to be quite shiny, likely due to some sort of fluid reflecting light off of it. Upon further inspection, the legs are actually abnormally long and thin human-like arms, ending in small hands with bony fingers. Underneath the thick mass of limbs are smaller tendrils that are pointier, slimier and more flexible; possibly fangs or underdeveloped legs.
From the first image, we can compare it’s size to the hallway it resides in, which gives us the height of 4 Feet or 1.21 Meters, and the width of 3 Feet or 0.91 Meters (Though it is likely being cramped in the hallway, which would reduce it’s true width). The length of the creature is still unknown, however.
Behavior and Theories
From what we can gather from the caption and the images, The Dove might be some other form of supernatural entity, or a hostile and carnivorous species of oversized spider that happened to evolve (whether naturally or not) disturbing human-like features.
It’s primary hunting tactic is to hide in dark, yet easily accessible areas in order to camouflage its dark body. Once it is hidden, only it’s bright, bird-like marking would be visible, serving as a lure for humans and animals alike. The most frequent victims would likely be small animals, urban explorers, construction workers, and bird watchers (referring to people who have the hobby, not the creature of the same name).
In this sense, the creature could be compared to a more dangerous land counterpart of the real-life Angler Fish, as both creatures conceal themselves in darkness, only revealing bright, deceiving body parts to lure in prey.
Aside from the aforementioned ability to lure in prey with it’s bird pattern, it’s massive size would easily allow it to neutralize an unarmed (and possibly even armed) human. It's strange human-like arms would not be much of a threat on small numbers, however the amount the creature possesses is enough to easily latch onto a person and overpower them.
Given its spider-like appearance and tactics, it may also capable of crawling up walls, creating webs to trap prey, and possibly even have venomous fangs. If the latter is true, then it would very likely be potent enough to kill a few adult humans. It may also not even use it’s webs given it’s enormous size and dangerous strength, much like spiders in the Lycosidae and Sparassidae family, whom only roam around to hunt prey instead of creating webs.
- Trevor has stated that another name for the creature is "Bird Watcher", though it may be confusing due to another creature of the same (unofficial) name.
- It is very similar to The Sewer Spider, as both are oversized hunting spiders that inhabit dark, decrepit areas.
- It was previously known as "Bird Spider" before an official name was given.
- Most people did not seem to notice the creature in the first image.
- It may not actually even be a spider at all, due to the number of legs it possesses, as well as it’s extremely odd shape.
- The second image of the creature lacks a caption on Twitter, yet on Instagram, it has a caption of a bird emoji.
- A similar situation happened with the third image of the creature, where the Twitter version lacks a caption, yet on Instagram, the caption is "Revisited an older design, the dove. I like camouflage/mimicry monsters."
- On his newest Instagram post, referred to this creature as "The Dove". (Shown Here)
- Original drawing of the creature
- Close-up of the creature
- A more informative drawing of the creature.
- The same image, this time with a caption.